Banana Pancakes: A Rain Day The Jack Johnson Way In Costa Rica
Last updated on October 19th, 2017 at 12:30 am EST
- Mistico Park or Sky Walk/Adventures: Which Arenal Hanging Bridges Are The Best? - June 24, 2022
- Osa Peninsula Beaches In Costa Rica - June 14, 2022
- Caribbean Beaches In Costa Rica - June 14, 2022
“Well can’t you see that its just raining… there ain’t no need to go outside.”
~ Jack Johnson
Get the Costa Rica info you need by browsing our article's TABLE OF CONTENTS:
WHEN COSTA RICA HANDS YOU RAIN DAYS, MAKE BANANA PANCAKES!
It’s official, the rain season is here. Well, its officially been the rain/wet/green season in Costa Rica for the past two months, but mother nature must have been out to lunch as La Fortuna has yet to get anywhere near as much rain this year as we have received in the past. A recent wet and gloomy morning reminded me of rain days when I was a kid, when play dates would be ruined until a friend and I would think of something creative to do inside, or when an outdoor recess turned into an indoor recess and free-time was spent gossiping around desks instead of outside on the tarmac. Although I am older now (and wiser, I hope), I continue to rely on certain comforts to help bring a little sunshine to an otherwise overcast day. If not, Costa Rica’s seemingly never-ending eight-month rain season would drown me. One such comfort is breakfast food–french toast, waffles, omelettes, you name it–and at any time of the day, too. Forget the chips, chocolate, and candies–I’ll take a pancake any way you’ll flip it to me.
Ever since acoustic guitarist and singer Jack Johnson achieved mainstream popularity (enter 2005 flashback here) and taught us all that banana pancakes were the way to throw our daily routines out the window, “pretend like it’s the weekend now…” (source: Jack Johnson), and come to enjoy a rainy day, the hotcakes became a treat. Combine their deliciousness with what Jack was been singing about the entire time, and banana pancakes are the perfect indulgence (and source of comfort) during a dreary downpour. After all, there’s no better way to turn a common breakfast food into a Costa Rican delight than to incorporate one of the countries largest exports as its main ingredient: banana!
Looking for an extra way to brighten your day? Arrange your pancake pieces as a sun on your plate much like they do at Bread and Chocolate–one of our favourite breakfast restaurants in Costa Rica.
BANANA PANCAKE RECIPE
Recipe courtesy of allrecipes.com
Banana pancakes: baking ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
Banana pancakes: baking directions
- Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together egg, milk, vegetable oil and bananas.
- Stir flour mixture into banana mixture; batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides; serve hot.
For complete Banana Pancakes song lyrics by Jack Johnson see this page.
QUESTION TO COMMENT ON: Have you tried banana pancakes? What did you think?