Green Alliance Partner Update: Save the Turtles (Costa Rica)
Check out what our Green Alliance Partners at Save The Turtles are doing!
*photo courtesy of Save the Turtles (Robert Van Damm, 2005)
As part of our Reach Out Costa Rica Travel Philanthropy Project we (the Pura Vida! eh? Incorporated team) donate to Save the Turtles. We are a Green Alliance Partner with this organization and we are proud to share what work is being done by them to protect and assist the sea turtles in Costa Rica and abroad. As an update, we are happy to share what our friends at Save the Turtles have been up to!
- Salvemos Las Tortugas de Parismina (ASTOP): funding of salaries for local people trained as turtle guides who protect nesting turtles at night.
- Audubon Nature Institute in Louisiana: emergency funding for the rescue of sea turtles from the BP oil spill on the Gulf Coast.
- Ecology Project International (EPI): assisted Costa Rican high school students to stay at a reserve, so they could have first-hand experience protecting turtles on a beach near their village.
- Programa Restoracion de Tortugas de Marina (PRETOMA): grant to purchase materials for a needed a hatchery for a new project in Bejuco, Costa Rica.
- Sea Turtles Forever (STF): grant to expand protection to cover additional km on a Pacific Coast, Costa Rica.
- Sea Turtle Restoration Project (STRP): emergency funding for the rescue of sea turtles after the disastrous BP Gulf Oil spill, as well as turtles caught in fishing nets in the same area.
- WIDECAST – Rescuing and Rehabilitation of Stranded Sea Turtles: funds to purchase a rehabilitation tank for a new project on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica.
Interested in learning more? Visit the Save The Turtles website for additional information. Interested in using your Costa Rican vacation to help the turtles? Simply reserve your trip items through Pura Vida! eh? Incorporated and select Save The Turtles as your organization of choice for our donation project. We are happy to donate to this organization on your behalf.
To our partners at Save the Turtles, keep up the great work!
QUESTION TO COMMENT ON: Have you been involved with a turtle project in Costa Rica? How was your experience?