What To Know About Playa Tamarindo Costa Rica (Tamarindo Beach)
NOTE: The content on this page was last updated on September 28th, 2017.
Get the Costa Rica information you need asap! Browse our article's content sections below...
- 1 NOTE: The content on this page was last updated on September 28th, 2017.
- 2 PLAYA TAMARINDO COSTA RICA (TAMARINDO BEACH)
- 3 WHAT TO DO IN TAMARINDO COSTA RICA
- 4 TAMARINDO COSTA RICA DETAILS (SELLING POINTS, DISADVANTAGES, RECOMMENDATIONS, AND EXTRA NOTES)
- 5 MAP OF PLAYA TAMARINDO COSTA RICA (TAMARINDO BEACH MAP)
LOOKING FOR TAMARINDO COSTA RICA TOUR DISCOUNTS? WE OFFER TRAVELLERS FREE ACCESS TO DISCOUNTS WHEN BOOKING DAY TOURS THROUGH PURA VIDA! EH? INCORPORATED. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION AND/OR TO OBTAIN THE DAY TOUR DISCOUNTS. CON MUCHO GUSTO (YOU’RE WELCOME) AND PURA VIDA! 🙂
PLAYA TAMARINDO COSTA RICA (TAMARINDO BEACH)
Tamarindo Costa Rica is a vibrant and lively beach town community and the hub of the country’s surf culture on the Northern Pacific coast. We love that the town is small enough to walk from end to end, yet is full of souvenir stores, restaurants, bars, and surf shops. Offering the best nightlife in the Guanacaste province, Tamarindo Costa Rica is a popular favourite among young travellers, student travellers, and other travellers looking to meet and socialize with foreigners and expats.
WHAT TO DO IN TAMARINDO COSTA RICA
- Surf lessons (try this Surf Lesson)
- Visits to the Palo Verde National Park (try the Palo Verde National Park Tour)
- Sailing (try the Sunset Sailing and Snorkeling Tour)
- Snorkeling (try the Sunset Sailing and Snorkeling Tour)
- Scuba diving (consider Agua Rica’s Dive Trips)
- Rafting (try the Tenorio River Rafting Tour or the Safari River Float Tour)
- Ziplining (try this Canopy Ziplining Tour)
- Horseback riding (consider the Black Stallion Ranch’s Horseback Riding Tour or Casagua Horses’ Tours and Trail Rides)
- Mountain biking tours and bike rentals (consider Bike Shop Tamarindo)
- ATV tours (consider Iguana Surf)
- Estuary boat tours (consider Iguana Surf)
- Sportfishing (consider Tamarindo Sportfishing or Capullo Sportfishing)
- Turtle nesting tours (consider the Marino Las Baulas National Park at Playa Grande)
- Golfing (consider the golf course at Hacienda Pinilla)
- Yoga (consider the Ser Om Shanti Yoga Studio)
- Day trips to the Rincon de la Vieja National Park, Buena Vista Lodge, Monteverde, Arenal (La Fortuna), Rio Celeste, and/or Liberia
- Souvenir shopping
- Bar hopping
The below Tamarindo Costa Rica information can also be found on our related post:
TAMARINDO COSTA RICA DETAILS
(SELLING POINTS, DISADVANTAGES, RECOMMENDATIONS, AND EXTRA NOTES)
Located north of Playa Langosta and south of Playa Real
Distance from Liberia: 75km (approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes)
Closest Town: Tamarindo (large town)
Beach Status: public beach
Type of Sand: brown sand; partly rough/partly smooth beach
Playa Tamarindo selling points
- For those travellers looking to visit a popular beach town, Tamarindo would be your best bet throughout the entire northern pacific region. This town is one of Costa Rica’s largest and most commercial beach areas, far more developed than its neighbouring beaches (Real, Conchal, and Flamingo). Travellers who choose to stay at accommodations in town have access to a wide variety of dining and shopping options – the majority of which are within walking distance to the beach.
- Travellers looking to participate in a number of tours/activities during their time at the beach will find nearly everything they are looking for in Tamarindo. Most of the tour operators in this town also service nearby beaches, however transportation to/from these other beaches and Tamarindo is not always included with the tour cost. For this reason, Tamarindo is a good choice for those individuals who will not have a rented vehicle and would prefer to stay in a popular town where tour offices can be reached on foot.
- Given that Tamarindo is a highly developed area, this beach town offers countless accommodation options ranging from hostels and economy hotels to superior and resort-quality hotels. Accepting of a variety of vacation budgets, Tamarindo is sure to have an accommodation option that it perfect for any traveller.
- More than anything else, Tamarindo is the ideal surf town. For anyone looking to surf, wanting to learn how to surf, needing to buy surf gear, and/or yearning to be a part of the surf culture that is Costa Rica, Tamarindo is the correct place for you.
Playa Tamarindo disadvantages
- Given its popularity, Tamarindo is more ‘the place to be’ than ‘the place to go to get away from it all’. The area draws a mixed crowd–a young, single’s population drawn to the area for its surf, together with family travellers impressed by the variety of tours and activities available (especially activities that children can participate in). For those travellers who would prefer a less populated town area and/or beach, unfortunately Tamarindo does not support this type of setting.
Playa Tamarindo recommendations
- If easy access to tour/activity options (especially surfing), dining options, and shopping options is what you are looking for, than Tamarindo would be the prime northern pacific beach location for you. Otherwise, if developed areas, a popular beach, and tourism in general does not interest you, perhaps a less busy and more intimate beach area would be the smarter choice.
Playa Tamarindo extra notes
- Visitors staying at the Tamarindo Diria Resort (and other popular hotel options in the area) have access to Playa Tamarindo.
- Recommended day trips from Playa Tamarindo include visits to Playa Real, Playa Flamingo, and Playa Conchal.
MAP OF PLAYA TAMARINDO COSTA RICA (TAMARINDO BEACH MAP)
QUESTION TO COMMENT ON: Have you been to Playa Tamarindo Costa Rica before? What did you think?